The purpose of Junior Auxiliary is to encourage members to render charitable services which are beneficial to the general public, with particular emphasis on children, and to cooperate with other organizations performing similar activities. JA of Meridian belongs to National Association of Junior Auxiliaries, Inc
The Meridian Chapter began in 1931 when a few women met together and decided to form a club. Named the “Spinster Club,” they soon realized how much good that they could do to help the underprivileged in the community. To raise money to enable the club to provide these needed services, they began holding bridge parties, balls, opened The Old Clothing Store, now known as the "Thrift Shop", and also started a sewing room to make layettes for needy babies.
The “Spinster Club” continued its services for ten years and then changed its name to Junior Auxiliary. After several years, they found that in several other cites there were similar names. On November 3, 1941, 100 enthusiastic women representing organizations from nine towns in Mississippi and Arkansas, Meridian being one of them, met in Greenville, Mississippi. Their purpose was to unite with a national organization seeking strength and inspiration through their union. On November 14, 1941, the National Associate of Junior Auxiliaries came into being.
JA of Meridian's First Mardi Gras King & Queen